This image is the one I was referring to earlier in the 'on photography' post. I know this blog entry's title is a bit provocative - but it's not actually meant to be. Just last week Wikipedia began working again which is great news. And we've also finally managed to get our cable connection working so we have access to the standard Asian pacific TV channels - CNN Asia, BBC World Asia, HBO (movies), TV5 (French), NHK1 (Japanese), CNBC, ESPN (sports), plus an even more expanded selection of Chinese channels. We are now both feeling a bit more connected with world news and CNN and BBC both provide pretty good coverage of a whole range of issues.So it seems that our limits on access to information as westerners is now almost on par to most other countries. I still cannot access the proboards site - a forum where I used to regularly go, and the BBC news section of it's web page is blocked, but most other things work fine. I get a sense that things are changing here quite rapidly - from week to week this country looks and feels different. The wikipedia opening last week is a good example as was access to blogger which seemed to be reopened about a week or two after we arrived.
No comments:
Post a Comment