11 January 2007

Westerners are all the same

As Morrissey once said on that infamous album by the Smiths, "I was shocked and surprised to discover..." that Asian people think that all Western people look the same, and that they can't tell the difference between us often. Weird heh? Maybe it's a bit of a generalisation (which is something I'm good at dealing with in), but a few Chinese people have now confirmed this. Many Westerners here have made comments to that effect all along, but I kind of didn't believe them. But our young, educated Chinese tutour just this week said to me, "yes, we Chinese people cannot tell Western people apart"...

Of course that raises the Asian stereotype, that all Asian people look the same - same coloured hair, same straight hair (and usually the same style here in China), same colour eyes, similar complexion, almost no variation in their height (ie small), no fat people - everyone is the same build... So then, if Western people range from tiny, thin to tall and obese.... with different complexions, hair colours, styles of hair, different eye colours etc - and to make another generalisation allowing for a lot more individuality through the development of sub-cultures etc (goths, punks, yuppies, 2nd hand clothese buyers, power dressers, indy types etc etc) - which just doesn't seem to be all that much developed here.... then how come Chinese people can't tell us apart??

To put this theory to the test, I borrowed an American friend's swimming membership card complete with photo. I think this guy looks different to me, but would Chinese peopleagree? He's taller, a different build, and I don't know - just looks quite different. Turns out that when I went to use his card, the person barely looked at it. So I got in on his membership... but I don't think my test was conclusive...

7 comments:

nancyshack said...

I have to maintain my position on this one. I disagree that there is little variation in height, body shape, face shape and skin colour among asian people. My students I find to be very varied. And there are definately traces of sub-cultures with which to tell them apart. In fact, when I am trying to learn their names, it is these differences that I latch onto in order to tell them apart.

Wurly said...

But that's not what I said, Nancy - I too have no difficulty telling my students apart... but I do still believe that particularly with the women, they have the same haircut - same length, same colour, same style - ie straight... and except the 1 small kid and the 1 tall kid, they are all about the same height

nancyshack said...

you WANNA go?

Wurly said...

get ya dukes out pal...

Unknown said...

blody asians....oh does that sound racist. Well they al look the same to me

Anonymous said...

I don't think your test counts Wurly. Most people don't look too closely at ID cards, train tickets, etc - unless maybe they're customs officials. After all, I got away for many years using a student card that had expired the previous century.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's racism so much as our minds being used to looking at similar types of faces. However, if we're exposed to different types of faces/people, we're then less likely to bunch people together and make assumptions.