06 January 2007

Japan and other stuff


I've been offline for sometime due to a week's vacation in Japan, and trouble with accessing the internet. The recent earthquake in Taiwan severed some undersea cables, and since late December, our already slow internet access has gotten much worse. I can't access many sites from Australia or North America at the moment, and if we can they are usually painfully slow at uploading.

Like Nancy said in her blog, many things have happened, and I will try to mention some of these over the next few weeks. We left for Japan on 23 December and stayed until 31 December in Niseko, a ski village on the island of Hokaido. It was lots of fun and very tiring - the good thing about skiing is that it keeps you fit, while you're also relaxing. So we had Christmas together there - it was pretty much just another day, though. We bumped into Tara and Oogs - Tara best friend of Renae - some of you will remember/know her... We made a few other friends there - people we mostly kept bumping into.

New Years was quiet, but we enjoyed a brunch meal at the Suzhou Sheraton. It was astounding the amount of food there...

I'm really feeling more positive about China since returning. Maybe my 6 month culture shock period is drawing to a close. Everyday now it seems I get complimented by Chinese people about how good my Chinese is, which is really satisfying and good for motivation. And I think I'm also getting a lot more comfortable with being stared at, and at being an outsider here...

No comments: