
Sometimes as I'm getting about between home and work or shops and restaurants I think to myself why are we doing this? What makes someone decide to pack up and move to a foreign country. At other times, I think, why didn't we do this earlier in life? At Tracey's school we've met people who have made travelling and living in foreign countries their life. There is an 'international school circuit'. For example one couple we have met - an Irishman, a Kiwi and their 4 year old child have lived for 4 years in Germany, 2 years in Eritrea, then 4 years in Cambodia before arriving in China for what will be at least 2 years for them. I think they lived somewhere else as well because I know that John, the Irishman hasn't lived in Ireland for over 12 years. His friends are scattered all over the world, and I guess one negative from this existence is that he no longer has strong bonds back to his home country. I asked him whether they would stay for a longer period in China or another country now that their child was reaching school age and he agreed, so maybe they'll stay for 4-5 years this time.
For people who do have this life, they are very lucky as International Schools look after their staff really well in terms of working conditions and salaries. So for Tracey and I it will be interesting to see where this journey in China takes us...

1 comment:
I think you will have babies.
Post a Comment