22 September 2006

Chinese English names

As many of you will know, its common for Chinese people to take on an English name. This may be simply to make their names more pronounceable to Westerners, and/or to come up with an exciting sounding English name.

It leads to some interesting choices - as many of you will have heard. Usually they tend to be old fashioned names - Bob, Perry, Rex, George, Howard, Nancy, Betty, Frank, Fred, Grace etc (are some of my student names)... Joyce and Jennifer seem to be popular for girls.

But then there are the weird names - those who seem to have chosen surnames - Wilson, Henderson, and other strange names - Lym, and my favourite so far, Promotion - that's right his name of choice is promotion... although his English wasn't that great, you just know that guy is going to go places...

5 comments:

matt said...

A good strong name is important. I might change my name to Napoleon.

jnxyz said...

So what then would your chinese name be? I bag Mao.

nancyshack said...

I do actually have a Chinese name now! It is on my residency permit. I just have to work out how to read it (it's in characters) and then I'll tell you what it is.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Australia!

Anonymous said...

good onya mate