02 August 2006

Ready

Tracey and I have had many chances over the past three or so weeks to reflect on the many things that we will miss about Brisbane, our lifestyle and our friends and family. It seems that each couple of days we reach another significant event prior to leaving - saying goodbye to family, to a group of friends, moving out - and each time our world shrinks further. It is almost now a world consisting of each other and our luggage - which we've now been living out of for 5-6 days.

I just went for a swim at an indoor pool in Acacia Ridge (out near where we are staying until we leave tomorrow) and had one of those moments when time seems to stand still. I was sitting in my parents car alone, with one of those epic Underworld tracks playing through the stereo, and after swimming laps for half an hour, my mind became trance like - washing over the many cars zooming back and forward in front of me as I waited at the intersection. I began to see that in less than 24 hours I wouldn't be in Brisbane... I wouldn't be able to go for a drive in the comfort of a vehicle... I most likely wouldn't be able to enjoy a swim at a nearby pool... I wouldn't be able to enjoy the amazing sunset that was occurring then. I imagine a vastly different expanse in China - it doesn't matter where you move in the world - there is always a slightly different appearance to the sky.

The other significant thing I should mention is that we may not be able to access blogger / blogspot in China - so this site may have a short life indeed!

1 comment:

jnxyz said...

It is a weird thing to do really, to choose to leave everything familiar behind. Why do it? the only answer is why not? and because sometimes we need to expand our world - just some thoughts as Pen and i had a similar experience when we lived in England - best of luck guys!