
As Tracey's blog has recently mentioned, last night I signed a 6 month teaching contract. It was hard negotiating and a few times I thought to myself where's Morry when you need him! I'm really freaked out at the prospect and feel really underprepared (partly because all my resources are either in shipping or have so far 'disappeared' in the mail). My first test as a teacher begins this Thursday night when I have to teach a two our block from 6.30pm to 8.40pm. The students (to the best of my knowledge) are well educated students and full time employees - the type that have doctorates and masters, so I'm hoping I go well. I won't only be teaching adults as they have already foreshadowed that I will have to do 3-4 hours a week at a Suzhou Middle school. That's probably the scariest part - as I've heard these classrooms have well over 35 students and can at times create a "Silence of the Lambs" moment, the aptly titled (by another ESL teacher) experience when everyone gives you blank looks for the whole lesson...
I've taken many canal shots now - there are probably around 50 or so canals crisscrossing the city, so I will start to dump some of these photos up at flickr.
Hope everyone is well!

1 comment:
he he he... I feel it - I've been a teacher for less than 24 hours and I'm already stressed, annoyed and a little disillusioned... but the other teachers are funny and I'm laughing it all off at the moment - less than 20 hours until I'm supposed to teach my first 2 hour lesson and no one can even find the role, let alone any sort of syllabus... talk about organised - I'm just going to have to laugh a lot to get through this one...
Post a Comment