Just this Sunday, a guy throwing up out the side of the front passenger seat of a car (while driving). This was down Gang Jiang Jie - the busiest street in the city. It went on for about 4 blocks, until we passed the car, and by that stage there was an incredible amount of spew all over their new BMW...
A while back I saw an old guy - about 60 or 70 years old taking a wizz into a canal, on the same street - in front of everyone. The thing was, he didn't seem to make any effort to be discreet (like going down a few of the steps leading to the water and away from everyone's view) - he just got it out in front of everyone. Everyone, kept going about their business - no problems...
Regularly, we see kids walking around taking a dump, or having a wizz through Chinese designed pants - that are pants for kids with a huge hole at the bottom. Why bother with nappys when you can just let it all out anywhere - and I mean anywhere, with reports of this occurring in supermarkets and shops... Must get cold down there, mind you...
Possibly the best, was one I didn't actually witness - a friend of ours saw a completely naked man on the side of the road selling his wares on a blanket as others do. Apparently, he was just acting normal, and everyone else was too - just totally ignoring the fact that he was just standing there naked. In the West, if you saw this, you'd realise it was probably some sort of dare underway, and secondly you'd probably yell something out to them... but here, you just apparently do that stuff, and you ignore it when you see it...
11 comments:
Maybe us Westerners are just too repressed, Andrew? Although treading in human excrement is truly appalling - happened to me many times when I lived in Yemen.
The pants with the hole in sound funny - until they crap their pushchair, I guess!
I'm flabberfended!
bizarro indeed. Keep up the observations...
hey everyone... still here - just been focussing on other things for the past week or so... bloging can wait!!
We demand more insightful witticisms - or at least an update of what your latest project is.
Year I remeber when a bunch of sickos took off all their clothes and ran down a small street in Noosa. Its unbelievable what people will do
I knew someone who was walking along outside Roma St station and a guy who 'lived' in the parking lot above threw his own poo at her from a paper cup. Apparently he was a serial 'poo in a paper cup' throwing offender. That's why I like to look up when walking through the city.
Phyllis, you have the most ... amazing(?) stories.
Thanks once again for sharing.
we're in vietnam - hanoi at the moment...it's cool!
I definitely agree that westerners can be pretty repressed, but human excrement and vomit have their place - and it ain't in the street.
keep on rockin' in the free world g-man.
Are you sure that guy peeing on the side of the road wasn't Wracket? =+)
Post a Comment