28 November 2006

language

Language is an infinitely fascinating concept to me. It's one of the basic fundamental building blocks of life along with time etc...Right now language occupies my thoughts constantly. I'm teaching language, I'm learning language, and when I'm not doing either I'm either communicating by language or thinking about how I can teach language better, and learn language more effectively... It's kind of all consuming. Sometimes I'm teaching my students, and I put myself in their place imagining how useful the lesson is... and then I'm a chinese language student and I'm both analysing my teacher's teaching techniques as well as identifying things that I could use in my classes, and of course trying to actually learn the language.

I'm also reading about language - particularly the study of languages - linguistics and similar fields like semiotics - the study of signs. Language is essentially a set of signs that signify things to those who can understand. It's through language that we create a shared understanding of meaning. This is very academic and I'm actually re-reading some university texts I've previously studied in my communication and cultural analysis subjects at university. I know, nerd, nerd, nerd...

One of the things I actually ask my students from time to time, is "how do you learn a language?" - ie what works for you? and do you have any tips. One approach I'm trying out at the moment is to paste sheets of Chinese language all throughout the house - mostly in places like the shower, toilet and kitchen... I think it's helping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the best thing is to have a few beers and then you loosen up a bit and your inhibitions drop and then you can really BLABBER. works for me & french, leastways.

Wurly said...

That's interesting... fear and inhibitions are definitely a barrier to learning language, and for me this is probably a big one... I'm often a bit timid if I'm not sure if I'm saying the right words or in the right order, and then of course people can't hear me...

Whereas some American friends I know for example are really loud and confident with their Chinese and it sounds really good to us, even though Chinese people tell me that they get the words, tones, and sentence structure all mixed up...