15 May 2007

projects

[WARNING: contemplative post]

This is a question for all of you. Do you have a project - something perhaps outside of work that keeps you busy and focussed. Something to do after work or on the weekends? I feel like I need some new kind of project. I have been updating the release information of Ennio Morricone, the Italian film composer on RateYourMusic, but I consider this a pretty meaningless project in the broader view of things... twiddling on the computer isn't that valuable to me in terms of using my time. Having the baby arrive later this year will probably eliminate any need to search for a project, but in the meantime, I'm interested to hear from you...

And related to this, is the idea of 'what makes you happy'. This can be hard to answer. I don't think it needs to be easy or immediately obvious anyway, but if you can identify tangible things, activities or emotions, I'd also like to hear from you... Lately, the bike road home late at night is very satisfying - even more so, if the teaching/learning day has been somewhat succesful.

Hong Kong (from our recent 6 days there)

6 comments:

nancyshack said...

Yes projects are important. I find books are good projects for me, and cross stitching (what a nana). Now that I'm going back to uni that will be my next big project. oh yeah, and the baby.

Anonymous said...

I love (and need) the projects. Whether it's running tipping comps for sporting events, organising my photos, writing stories, running for public office or studying for uni.

I think that I feel the need to be doing something that I feel useful rather than watching stuff on TV I'm not even enjoying.

That makes me happy - and I'll think of other things in that category later.

Wurly said...

there's a real sense of achievement after having a succesful English lesson, which makes me happy too. But that is not always consistent for me.

I know exercise, in particular swimming makes me feel really good too, but I haven't been able to do that here lately

Anonymous said...

How about a photography project? Finding beauty in very small things, or atmosphere, etc... You can ride your bike to look for things, giving you exercise at the same time. :)

jnxyz said...

I agree with cyberpainter. Taking a photo that captures what you saw...

Anonymous said...

you could always think about getting involved in some volunteer work projects/activities.

something to consider when you get back to these fair shores maybe, where it might be a bit easier.

i've always found any volunteer work i've done to be really rewarding.