19 April 2007

Big Pig +

I'm in love with You Tube. It's the availability, its sharing, its the DIY attitude and it's just got anything you could ever want to see (or not see). So today, I'm taking a trip down memory lane with some music videos.

Big Pink - Breakaway
This takes me back to the mid 80s - around about 86 or 87. I was a teenager in high school just starting out as a drummer and I can remember hearing this song with their 2+ drummers and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I can now quite confidently admit that it isn't the coolest thing ever, but still it brings back a lot of memories. Nowadays, the haircuts are harsh and the singlet looking mallet guys look like a precursur to the tap dogs or something...

Happy Mondays - Lazyitis
This one was from about '88 when the Mondays were starting to make it big. I've always loved the go-nowhere feel of this song, the total abandon of conventions that the video portrays - kicking around in the rain. It's also known for Ryder's borrowing of the Beatles "Ticket to Ride" melody, plus potentially a few other melodies thrown in there... all no doubt on purpose, and if not, who cares. It's great...

Beasts Of Bourbon - Chase The Dragon

And of course, the Beasts. For some real dark and dirty music, the Beasts were the fix. Kim Salmon's unmistakable guitar stabs (and fashionable green shirt), some other Beasts at the back and ladies-man Tex Perkins out the front. The lyrics of this song are as obvious as George Bush's mental capacities... lyrics that myself, Morry and Phil and the like used to like to quote from time to time... "I brought back a sourvenir, all the way from Kampuchea...". They were scary live (in the good sense of the word)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, don't do this to me. I've got too much uni work to do to be checking out vids on the net.

But interesting to hear your comments though.

Anonymous said...

Hey I just got dsl today finally, out here in the middle of the woods, so I can youtube my brains out. Wuhu! :)