28 February 2007

Bike capital of the world

Vietnamese love their bikes. Here in Suzhou all the bikes are electric, they run on rechargable batteries. In Vietnam, the bikes are all noisy petrol bikes and are a form of transport for the whole family - I saw as many as 5 people on some bikes...

Even after living in China for 6 months, the noises, activity and smells of Hanoi and Saigon were really exciting for us. I can only imagine the sensory experience for someone coming straight from a Western country. It was really great seeing all this activity but after a few days in Hanoi, we were ready to relax and do nothing in Mui Ne, a beach resort in Southern Vietnam. This was a really enjoyable time. High points included reading "We Need to Talk About Kevin" in 4 days straight. Low points included seeing some of the more interesting things on the beach... lots of dead fish, a dead pig, and 3 or 4 bags of intestines of large animals (possibly cows)... people just dump anything into the sea it seems. We didn't feel like swimming much in the ocean after finding these nice surprises...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is that? A pig?

matt said...

of course it's a pig. But the thing on the lower left is someones disembodied foot - gross.

Anonymous said...

why can't I add comments! Talk to me world.

Dead pig on the beach - almost a Golden dead pig - it being the year of the Golden Pig

Anonymous said...

but what beautiful swirly lines in the sand...

Anonymous said...

Man Alive Wurly! You sure do have an eye for photography. What do you use the other one for? But seriously folks, I find that piccie of the piglet very upsetting and so incredibly beautiful. I think you may have found your calling. I know that you consider photography a hobby, but I think there is gold in them thar hills for you. (If that last part of the sentance isn't making sense to you, try saying it with an 1800's gold prospecters southern accent). And now, out of laziness I am going to comment on your last epic post. I did in fact read all they way through it. Not so sure that I understood all of it. The change in everyday culture was always going to be a challenge. I always live in a little bubble of my own creation, so i think i would probably adjust a lot easier and not notice a lot of the difficulties you face. Try imagining that you are a rock star and that is why they stare and poke.

Wurly said...

Thanks Phillis! I love your positivity! Actually, I am a somewhat critical and modest person, but seriously, I believe my friends Nick and Jonathan and Andrew Green are much better photographers. Check out their photos on Flickr... (go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21251611@N00/ then click on my profile then check the photos by jnxyz,zeromouse and awgreen)

Jonathan has an astute eye for capturing nature - sunsets etc, and Nick has great vision in seeing things from a different perspective. Andrew's stuff is incredible - really different points of views, focuses (foci?) and colours - I love their work!!!

Anonymous said...

It's a downright love fest in here!