After finishing reading Sontag’s, book On Photography I feel that it has affirmed my belief in the importance of being present in the moment, of living each moment, taking it in and living life to the full. Photography is a type of consumption – we consume photos quicker as technology improves. With the advent of digital cameras and iPhoto and computerised documenting of photos, we are taking more photos and keeping more. But we can never reach our need for the consumption of photos – “As we make images and consume them, we need still more images; and still more”, says Sontag. She describes it as a lust, which cannot be satisfied: “first, because the possibilities of photography are infinite; and second, because the project is finally self-devouring”. The consumption of photography is also due to the accessibility of it – it is both easy to participate in (to take photos or be in them) and easy to appreciate them. This makes photography quite different from other art forms such as painting and literature, which require greater time, and an often more advanced understanding of how to see (ie cultural literacy).
Some other thoughts from Sontag’s book: “One can’t possess reality, one can possess (and be possessed by) images… one can’t possess the present but one can possess the past”. It’s almost as though by taking a photo we are ignoring the present, but documenting the past… an interesting thought. Garry Winogrand has said, “I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed”.
I like Jonathan’s idea of a challenge to take the most boring, uninteresting, or worthless photo – perhaps this could be our new challenge for a flickr group? My photo for this post is an example…

3 comments:
I've enjoyed your photography posts about Sontag's book, very inspiring. Also the whole fascination and boredom thing got me thinking. Not so much now, but when Sol was younger I would just get so bored when looking after him - usually resort to just walking around the streets with the pram.
The most boring photo would surely be a totally white frame. But it would have to be absolutely devoid of gradient and shadow. Or would that make it interesting?
Maybe a photo of a Ken Done painting?
yeah, I personally find pure colours a bit interesting.... so I think that wouldn't qualify (the totally white one). It's interesting - when I tried to find the most boring and worthless photo - I still had to go through a process in my mind of evaluating each photo... and I'm not sure if I made the right choice... it may be that I chose something slightly better than boring - because there are still some nice looking trees and the canal in that photo... it's not all that bad.
even theone you chose has interest value tho - like for me - where is that? looks nice with a river and buildings behind - maybe whats boring for you is interesting to someone else?
http://www.flickr.com/groups/everydaymundane/
About the Everyday Mundane:
What is boring? What is truly mundane?
What is the most unmentionable, irrelevent image you have ever taken? The one thats not so much bad as just ... you wouldn't ever bother showing it to anyone.
Probably you have already deleted it. If not, post it here.
Let's find out what mundane really is.
Note: Members can post 1 photo to the pool each day.
lets get it started...
Post a Comment