09 October 2006

English teaching

I've now been teaching for 7 or 8 weeks and although I have had some ups and downs, overall I am very much enjoying teaching. Teaching adults in particular I have found to be rewarding, but I feel I still have some way to go with teaching my kids (year 4 and 5 kids), as at times this has been a struggle. The kids need a lot of entertaining - ie games, and need to be challenged, and for the most part, I feel that I probably haven't challenged them enough.

I'm learning a lot about English by teaching it. Did you know that 8 words make up approximately 33% of spoken English? Have a think about what they could be and then check the comments section - where I'll post the answers! I actually have a list of the 300 most commonly used English words. Some interesting words that made the top 300 - state, American, war, government, president, John, church, power, and God. Just shows that although we are taught to not talk about politics and religion etc, that these topics are extremely popular. Most of the other words were prepositions and adjectives (ie not nouns etc) like - don't, got, told, let, look, only, what, said, most etc....

8 comments:

Wurly said...

Ok nerds - no real surprises here - the top 8 words in order are:

1) the
2) of
3) and
4) to
5) a
6) in
7) that
8) is...

a bit obvious - but maybe a little bit surprising is the word 'of' - a word we use frequently without being conscious of using it...

jnxyz said...

nice. I actually tell my learning support kids now that they are really smart to be learning english because it has more rules than any other - nearly 1200 in total! italian and finnish for eg. have about 30...

Anonymous said...

yeah, and according to my training resources there are over 600,000 English words, more than any other language... which is pretty amazing

nancyshack said...

nerds.

Anonymous said...

takes one nerd to identify another

Anonymous said...

I would've picked "I" as a top word. What number do I come in at? And also me?

Wurly said...

ok nerds... "I" and "at" made the top 20... here they are:

9) was
10) he
11) for
12) it
13) with
14) as
15) his
16) on
17) be
18) at
19) by
20) I

Anonymous said...

What about me?

(it isn't fair / i've had enough / now I want my share)

I notice she isn't up there are all. Where on earth has she gone?

(I'm having fun here)