12 September 2006

silencio

I just had a bad teaching day. Everything seems a bit hit and miss at the moment and I'm trying to put together lesson plans amidst a lot of confusion and uncertainty. I'm supposed to put together a 16 week syllabus for 9-11 year olds (I actually don't know how old they are because here in China you are 1 year old when you're born - ie your first birthday you turn 2) but I have a book that could probably last 8-10 lessons and yet I'm told it has to last 32 lessons - ie 1 year, because parents don't want to pay for the price of costly English books. This means I'm to put together a 16 week course, when I already don't have enough material in the book, but extend it out to 32 weeks... And of course I haven't mentioned the fact that I've never taught children before.

I also started another new group of adults tonight and they conjured up the Silence of the Lambs effect that I mentioned somewhere else on this blog. The material we are trying to teach them is too complex, but again - that's out of my hands because this is the book they've purchased.

So enough about teaching complaints. The weather here has changed dramatically. Within one or two days the temperature has dropped at least 10 degrees. Last week we were living in air conditioning at home, in cabs and at work and sweating lots with the high humidity. Then it started raining and has continued to rain for the last three or four days, and now it only feels no more than about 18-20 degrees - cool, and not humid at all. The locals say these changes in temperatures from one day to the next are a regular feature of Suzhou. Perhaps it's a bit like Melbourne? I actually think that 2 weeks ago we were experiencing weather hotter and more humid than you would in Brisbane - maybe on par with subtropical places like Bangkok. Now everyone's already getting ready for winter when it usually snows.

5 comments:

matt said...

Have the lambs stopped screaming yet?

Anonymous said...

You know what I say? F*ck the text book. You can be more creative and responsive to their needs if you don't take it as something to stick by.

Of course, I'm talking as someone who stuck by the textbook because I didn't or wasn't creative enough to know better.

But yes, it's difficult to try to get across an actual application of language and trying to have fun, yet trying to remain close enough to the curriculum without getting in trouble. But then, if they're having fun, they're not likely to complain.

Wurly said...

yeah - I haven't been using the textbook much - but these students have just paid money to use a book, and I know how I'd feel if I was the student who'd just paid for an expensive and glossy looking English book to be told - where not going to use that....

man, there's stuff in that textbook that I have to read 3-4 times to understand myself... what chance have these about to be slaughtered lambs got?

nancyshack said...

It gets better, honest!

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I've heard that point about the textbook.